Opens January 20, 2018
Opening weekend only, meet and pose for pictures with a railway director and enjoy presentations from Railfan & Railroad magazine editor Otto M. Vondrak. Museum members, enjoy an exclusive, one-hour preview both days before the museum opens to the public—beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
All aboard! Chug in for the Thomas & Friends: Explore the Rails! exhibit and meet favorite steam engines such as Thomas, Percy, and Gordon. Explore the unique landscape of Sodor, which has held a special place in the hearts and imaginations of children for generations, and help Thomas and his friends solve a variety of math and science-based challenges in unique zones.
- Take pictures with a giant Thomas the Tank Engine model and explore the train’s inner workings
- Become an engineer and pull the brake, whistle, and steam lever
- Enter the bustling Knapford Station to sort freight, sell tickets, and help keep the trains on schedule
- Zoom a train across a sprawling table of the Island of Sodor that includes favorite stops such as Tidmouth Shed, Brendam Docks, and the Rescue Station
- Put your mathematical skills to the test to guide a train around a steep curve by adjusting its speed
- Use oversize nuts, bolts, rods, and wrenches to fix the green engine Percy and make him chug again
- Explore a retrospective of Thomas the Tank Engine that celebrate its rich history, which includes models from the series, images and television clips, and original drawings and manuscripts
Thomas & Friends: Explore the Rails remains on view through May 6, 2018.
Local media support from
© 2018 Gullane (Thomas) Limited. Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails! was created by Minnesota Children’s Museum, presented by Fisher-Price and sponsored by 3M.